Spiders are one of the most common household pests that homeowners dread to encounter. People often resort to toxic pesticides and sprays to get rid of them, but these chemicals can be harmful to both humans and pets. However, there is a natural, non-toxic solution that you may not have heard of – diatomaceous earth. This white powder is a powerful spider killer that is both safe and effective.
What is Diatomaceous Earth?
Diatomaceous earth (DE) is a soft, white powder made from the remains of microscopic, fossilized water plants known as diatoms. It is composed of 85% silica, which is a natural substance commonly found in rocks, sand, and soil. DE is also used in water filtration, insecticides, and food preservation.
How Does it Kill Spiders?
DE works in three ways to kill spiders. First, it is abrasive and scratches the waxy outer layer of a spider’s exoskeleton, causing it to dry out and die of dehydration. Second, it is a desiccant that absorbs moisture from the spider’s body, further dehydrating it. Third, it is toxic when ingested by insects, and spiders may accidentally ingest it when grooming themselves.
How to Use Diatomaceous Earth to Kill Spiders
To use DE to kill spiders, follow these steps:
1. Locate where spiders are present in your home, such as corners, windowsills, and doorways.
2. Sprinkle a light dusting of DE in those areas using a duster, brush, or your hands. Be sure to wear gloves and a dust mask to avoid inhaling it.
3. Leave the DE untouched for 2-3 days to allow time for spiders to come into contact with it.
4. Reapply the DE as needed until the spider infestation is under control.
Benefits of Using Diatomaceous Earth
Aside from being a natural spider killer, here are some benefits of using DE:
1. It is non-toxic and safe to use around humans and pets.
2. It is effective at killing other household pests like ants, roaches, and fleas.
3. It can be used indoors and outdoors, making it versatile.
4. It is affordable and easy to find in stores or online.
If you are looking for a safe and effective way to get rid of spiders in your home, try using diatomaceous earth. Not only is it a natural alternative to toxic pesticides, but it is also versatile, affordable, and easy to use. With DE, you can say goodbye to spiders and other pests while keeping your family and pets safe.